All of my face paints and glitter are of the highest cosmetic grade and are approved by EU and FDA.
Here is some educational info for better understanding:
Only paints and products designed for use on the skin should be used for face painting. All of them MUST say ‘cosmetic’ or ‘makeup’ or 'face and body paint' on them. Any reputable face paint artist will gladly share the names of the paints they use with you. If they won’t tell you, that is a big red flag and not worth the risk. “I’ve always used craft paints, and had no problems at all” or “Everything we use is “Non-Toxic” are not acceptable answers.
Why is this important? The skin is the largest organ of the body. Its job is to protect everything within it. We must treat it kindly and with products designed only for its use. Using products with a cosmetic or a makeup rating ensures that it has undergone vigorous extensive testing and met a high standard. Craft paints are not designed for use on the skin and therefore do not meet these standards. In fact, many craft paints have common allergens and carcinogens in them. Any craft paint company will advise you not to expose the skin to many of their products. They were not designed for such use and could result in rashes, scarring, blisters, etc.
The truth about NON-TOXIC: Non-toxic truly means that you can touch or ingest/eat something bearing that label and probably not die as a result. The stomach has powerful acids to dilute or digest the particles to render them with minimal harm to the digestive system. Products absorbed through the skin do not go through such process. You can actually eat poison ivy with less consequence than if you rub it on your skin. (Because the digestive juices beginning with the saliva in your mouth begin to neutralize it immediately.) Especially the kids’ skin: small children become intoxicated after prolonged skin exposure to alcohol (ethanol bandages applied to damaged skin). Bottom line: "Non-toxic" means safe to eat, not to rub on the skin. Another important detail: face paints are designed to be used on many faces in a row, so they already contain antibacterial agents in them.
Glitter or sparkles must have a cosmetic rating as well. Cosmetic grade glitter is cut finer and in an octagon shape and is made of polyester. This means that should it get into the eye, it won’t scratch the cornea. It may cause some discomfort no more than getting an eyelash in your eye, but it will do no harm. Polyester glitter feels very soft when rubbed between your fingers.
Glitters purchased in the craft department are often metallic and bigger pieces so they sparkle in a bolder fashion than needed for makeup. It feels gritty when rubbed between the fingers. Metallic craft glitter should not be used for face painting. The only safe glitters for face painting are made of polyester, and should be .008 microns in size or smaller. That is the size that the FDA classifies as “cosmetic size” and safe for use on skin.
100% of the products and supplies I use are bought in Hokey Pokey Shop --
the largest professional face and body paint online store in Canada.
To clean my brushes, I first wash them with baby shampoo (completely, with handles),
then boil the bristles, also called tuft, in the boiling water.